Thursday, May 29, 2014

Dragging is Better than Sitting

I got up in a funk today. 
I did not sleep well,
it's raining out and my body hurt.
It was the kind of morning you just want to pull
the covers back up and stay in bed.
Or at least just throw on a sweatshirt over your pajamas
and pretend that they are just 'comfy clothes' when 
the other parents at the bus stop look at you funny.

Yes, that is what I wanted to do this morning.
But instead I got up and showered and 
dragged my slow moving booty to the gym.
I did not hit it super hard. 
I did some elliptical and a workout my trainer designed for me.
My head was not in the game though and I could tell
by my lack of balance and energy 
but I did not give up.
I got through it.
I burned more calories than I would have sitting on my couch.
I got up, 
I did not let that voice
in my head telling me it was ok to do nothing win.
I'm not saying a rest day is not ok, 
but today was not supposed to be a rest day.
I know if I had skipped my workout, 
I would have felt down and depressed all day 
because that's how I woke up and 
I would have done nothing to change it.
Sometimes the mind helps us push through and attain things 
that our bodies don't think are possible but
sometimes (like today) our mind needs a push. 
Getting in a great workout routine helps your body get used it
and allows you to operate in autopilot on those days 
when your mind has not caught up yet. 
Usually about halfway through my sweat 
something clicks 
and I am able to focus and then
I spend the rest of the day 
Feeling good about myself for not giving up.
Proud of myself for not making the easier choice to to take the day off.
Motivated by my small victory to get out there and make another great choice. 

So don't let the little couch potato on your shoulder convince you that you and your goals are not worth the effort. 
They are.
You are.
So get out there and make it happen!

“Desire is the key to motivation, but it's determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek.”
-Mario Andretti

No comments:

Post a Comment