Monday, March 2, 2015

Homemade Granola


The weather here this weekend was so yucky.
Ice falling from the sky and coating EVERYTHING.
It was definitely not the kind of day 
you run out to the grocery store
for no good reason so when I had
a giant craving for some granola I went scavenging in the pantry.

All I could find were some fiber one oats and chocolate 
granola bars that my kids love as a treat and that is not what I was hoping for.
A quick look on the Internet for clean granola landed me with
loads of recipes that used stuff I did not have already
and since I wasn't going out they were off the list.
I looked at my old favorite recipe for homemade granola bars
from The Pioneer Woman but was hoping to 
make something with less molasses and stuff, no chocolate
and of course I did not have any apple juice so that one
was out also.
So I decided to make up a recipe and 
surprise...IT WORKED!

Here is what you need:

2 3/4 C Old fashioned Oats
1/2 C Wheat germ
3/4 C chopped walnuts
1/4 C all natural Honey
1/2 C Unsweetened applesauce*
2 tsp cinnamon

*I used 3/4 C of applesauce but think it came out a touch gummy 
even after the egdes were starting to burn a bit so
I would try using just 1/2 C and only add a touch more if
you are having trouble wetting all the dry ingredients.

 
Preheat the oven to 325
and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Place the Oats, wheat germ and walnuts 
(you can use whatever kind of nut you have or like here
I just had the walnuts- mine were big though so
I put them in the food processor to chop them down to small bits)
in a large bowl and mix through.

Add the honey, applesauce and cinnamon into a smaller bowl
and whisk until smooth and well blended.

 
  
Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients
and using your hands or a fork stir together
until the oats are covered evenly.
Spread the mixture out evenly onto
the parchment lined baking sheet
and place in the oven for about 60 minutes.
Be sure to stir it around every 10-15 minutes to ensure it gets
equally crusty and break up any large lumps.


Once it is dry and starting to look golden brown pull it out, let it cool
and then eat!!


(ok- you don't want to eat it all right away so
you could place it on an airtight container and save for later.)
I put mine in a mason jar and placed it in the fridge to make sure it
stays fresh but I don't expect it to last long as my 
first grader thinks it is a new exciting candy.
Score for me!! 
~eta well, be well
Patty




No comments:

Post a Comment